Unit VIII Homework
If you have not already, you or someone you know will try to grow a variety of plants either inside your house or outside in a garden. What type of soil do you need? How often should you water the plants? Should you plant them in full sun? Why do some plants need less water and some more? These are questions that many people have about plants. In this activity, you will have a chance to manipulate different variables to see how much water some plants use and how much some lose through transpiration.
1. Conduct virtual experiments to determine factors that affect transpiration.
2. Compare and contrast sustainable and unsustainable farming practices.
Computer with internet access
2. Read the PURPOSE and OBJECTIVES.
3. Read and follow the information under PROCEDURES, and complete the lab for all 4 plants and all 3 variables.
4. Reset the lab and complete the lab for the next set of 4 plants and 3 variables.
5. Record your information in the Results Table provided on this sheet.
6. During and after the lab, answer the questions below.
Questions 1 – 10 are short answer questions and should be answered in two to three words or one to two complete sentences. Total: 40 points
1. What are the three different variables that you tested? (4 points)
2. State your question. (4 points)
3. State your hypothesis. (4 points)
4. Describe the process of transpiration. (4 points)
5. What environmental factors that you tested increased the rate of transpiration? Was the rate of transpiration increased for all plants tested? (4 points)
6. Did any of the environmental factors (heat, light, or wind) increase the transpiration rate more than the others? Why? (4 points)
7. Which species of plants that you tested had the highest transpiration rates? Why do you think different species of plants transpire at different rates? (4 points)
8. What is your conclusion? (4 points)
9. Did your results support your hypothesis? (4 points)
10. State another question about transpiration that you would like to have answered that you did not answer in this lab. (4 points)
Results Table: You should include data for eight different plants. Make sure you reset the lab (upper right corner) to receive four more plants. Total: 20 points
Amount of water transpired after 1 hour (mL)
Question 11 is a short essay. Your response should be at least 200 words in length. Total: 40 points
11. You want to reduce the amount of money that you are spending at the grocery store. You and your family decide to plant a small garden to provide a variety of foods. Since you completed the activity above, you know that plants require certain nutrients in order to survive.
Read the information in the textbook concerning the future of agriculture (pages 586 – 592). What are some methods that you would implement into your garden? What would you try to avoid? In addition to your textbook, locate at least one article in the CSU Online Library that provides further information on your chosen methods. Make sure you provide a detailed response.