Short-answer responses: Choose 4 of the following questions and respond with information from the text. You may also use outside sources as well. If you use outside sources, please cite them. Your responses should be at least half a page in length, meaning the entirety of your responses should total at least 2 pages.
- Compare and contrast mala in se crimes with mala prohibita crimes. What are the key differences between these two types of crimes? Be sure to provide specific examples of each type of crime.
- Explain the concept of legitimacy in the context of the social contract. Why is legitimacy important for criminal justice agencies? Describe specific ways that criminal justice agencies can maintain their legitimacy.
- Select and describe three of the six concepts of law. Then, compare and contrast these three concepts of law with at least three different philosophical perspectives. Finally, identify and briefly discuss which philosophical perspective appears to be the most insightful and which appears to be the least insightful.
- Discuss socialization. What is it? What are the different types of socialization? How does socialization relate to deviant behavior?
- Describe two historical perspectives on criminology. Discuss whether these theories are still believed by most criminologists.
- Suppose that a criminal brutally attacked an elderly lady, mugged her, and left her severely injured in her house. A few days later, the offender was arrested after bragging of his crime to some friends. It is your job to take a restorative justice approach to dealing with this crime. Discuss in detail how you would go about applying restorative justice in this scenario.
- Compare and contrast the criminal justice system and the civil justice system
- Discuss in detail habeas corpus, bills of attainder, ex post facto laws, trial by jury, and trial for treason. Discuss how these are protected by the U.S. Constitution and how these rights were expanded on.
- What are the common elements of modern criminal law? Provide a detailed explanation of these and how they converge to define criminal law
- Discuss the limitations on criminal punishment. Be sure to provide a detailed explanation of the three philosophical principles that limit punishment under criminal law. Provide an example of each. Which of these three principles do you think is the most important? Why?